August 20, 2007




In 1984, on the one year anniversary of the introduction of compact discs and five years after the first walkman, Sony introduced their D-50 portable CD player, the first ever portable digital music player and was the smallest at the time. The D-50 was actually my very first cd player and being in the military I had to get the newest mens' gadgets then, as well as now. It truly was a so cool. Just slightly larger than approximately four CD cases, the player offered all of the great audio quality that digital recordings had to offer. Although the first compact discs were analogue recordings converted to digital and as music production changed so did digital recordings and compact discs. It cost $300

I can't even predict how many CDs I have purchased in my life, whew. I still have my very first CD also, U2-The Joshua Tree, when I first purchased the Sony Discman in 1987. Around 1990 I started Djing and I still do to this day so I have kept all my music. I still have vinyl but I knew the cd was going to impact music like never before. I remember bringing my home stereo CD player to my early Dj gigs, a Sony CDP-C500 I purchased in 1990, to clubs in the 90s and playing my collection and I still have it today as my home stereo CD player. It was the first Carousel CD player and it still works great today even after moving several times. Cassette tapes would wear out after awhile but the CD would still sound great for a long, long time. I still do purchase CDs just about every week or so.

Anyway, thanks for the best of times CD, for making me feel better, making me dance, making me get teary eyed and making me remember all that is worth remembering with music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment